Tuesday, August 21, 2012


We are to be careful how we make our progress, how we set out on our walk in life; in a sense how we are developing ourselves.  To walk is to embark on a path, a journey that leads to somewhere.  As Christians, as families of faith, as communities of faith, we strive to walk in the ways of the Lord.  As we seek to travel in the ways of God, we develop a direction for our lives, so that the times we do falter or become sidetracked, our direction can pull us back toward God.  (From Pr. Randy's Sermon) 

(From Pamela)   I don't know about you, but there are times when I wander from the clear and stable path.  It seems that it happens when I look sideways -- at what other folks are doing -- or when I begin to compare what I have (or don't have) with what "they" (who are they, anyway?) say is the mark of excellence, prosperity or meaning.  

Then I begin to want what I don't have.  I begin to discount what I do have.  And I begin to fret about what may or may not happen.  All of those activities are unwise. They result in a waste of time, a frittering away of the blessings that have been lavished upon me and that continue to come my way.  

All it really takes is to settle down, to gaze at what is right in front of my nose and then see what God is giving.  How does God's Wisdom and Direction (as taught by Jesus) meet me in my own life?  

Suddenly balance returns.  The confusion and turmoil of looking elsewhere is trumped by Jesus' words:  Follow me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment